KARACHI (4th Aug, 2014) : Pakistan paceman Mohammad Amir Sunday said he hoped to return to the game before a five-year ban ends next year if the world cricket body amends its anti-corruption code.
Amir’s spot-fixing ban ends in September 2015, but Pakistani cricket officials have applied for it to be relaxed, with the matter likely to be finalised in October.
“It’s a frustratingly lengthy wait and I am counting every day with my fingers crossed,” 22-year-old Amir told AFP.
He was found guilty of spot-fixing during a Test at Lord’s in 2010 with two team-mates, spent three months in a British jail and was banned in 2011 from the game by the International Cricket Council (ICC).
“I can’t say anything before October, whether I am able to return to international cricket or be able to play in domestic matches, its all up to the ICC,” said Amir.
Muhammad Amir said the Pakistan Cricket Board’s taking up his case with the ICC had raised his spirits.
“I am thankful to the PCB for taking up my case with the ICC and that has raised my spirits,” said Amir.
“Whether I am able to play the World Cup (2015) or not it’s not in my hands but even without me Pakistan is a strong team and have the prayers and good wishes of all the fans in the country,” he added.
The cricket board last year requested the ICC relax some of the conditions of Amir’s ban to allow him to take part in domestic matches.
That prompted the ICC to form a committee to look into the matter as it agreed to review its anti-corruption code which carries a minimum five-year ban for offenders.
“I have never lost hope, that’s always with me,” Amir said.
“I train hard and will resume training in the next few days after the Ramadan break, so from my side I will be ready whenever the go-ahead comes.”
The left-armed paceman became the youngest player ever to take 50 Test wickets and guided Pakistan to a 1-1 series draw against Australia when the two teams played in England in June 2010.